Thursday, September 2, 2021

Common Art - Week 1 - Use of Basic Shapes

 


2D is not my strong suit however these are my attempts at some creature designs focusing on shape language. I decided to go with a series of turtles so that I could focus on the shapes and push them into different directions while working with the same animal.

The first turtle ended up being a bit of a happy accident. When I started adding circles to the shell to represent the scales, I felt like it started to resemble a mushroom, specifically the fly agaric. I decided to try and push it more in that direction with the shell while keeping the rest of the body and legs round.

For the second turtle, I wanted the shell to feel like it had mounds of rock on the shell with the shell itself overall being squarish like a box turtle. Overall the shapes feel a bit weird and it feels really boxy. I tried a couple different ways of blending the colors so it felt a little bit softer but I don't think I quite hit my goal.

For the third turtle I referenced a snapping turtle but felt the spiky shell alone didn't really stylize it much and just felt like a normal turtle. I tried putting more triangles in the head and legs but got varying success. While trying to make the legs have some thickness I think I ended up losing the triangle shapes. I also think the feet and shading in that area didn't work out so well. The head worked out a bit better though it could still use some work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Common Art 3 - Sprint #6 / Final Delivery

For this delivery, I did final touch ups on a number of effects and some functionality issues. The charge beam and arm cannon had a couple m...